Sunday, February 21, 2010

Today and Birthdays

It's Sunday evening and I haven't spent as much time in the studio today as I had planned. The calls of the sun, the dirt, the garden, all kept me outside. As the evening came on all I wanted to do was read. I started thinking about sculpture - abstract, expressionist, realistic, all kinds.
Here's a Happy belated birthday to sculptor - Barbara Hepwood. b. Jan 1903, d. 1975. Who said, "The sculptor must search with passionate intensity for the underlying principle of the organisation of mass and tension - the meaning of gesture and the surface of rhythm."

For February let us say Happy Birthday to Constantin Brancusi, b Feb. 1876, d. 1957, who found his inspiration from many artists both in 2D and 3D. One of his favorites, is also one of mine, August Rodin...... which makes me think of driving out to the Maryhill Museum next weekend.
In thinking about how wonderful this weekend has been I close with words from Rodin, "Nature is always beautiful. We need only to understand what she shows us".

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration Margaret. I've just started delving into the world of sculpture and I love the freedom to create.

    ReplyDelete